Friday, May 16, 2014

Experiments in Photography

When I was nine, my family purchased its first digital camera: a Canon Powershot A610 with five megapixels. My artistic and motivated sister, Hallie, immediately caught on to photography and was much more interested in it than I ever was. I took a picture or two here and there to enter some photos in the County Fair, but I never seemed to have the grasp of it that Hallie had, for my pictures rarely received the prizes hers did. Within the last several months, however, as I've been attempting to maintain a personal style blog, I've had to take my own miniature photoshoots--and I've really, really been wanting a new camera.

Fast-forward to today, when I get to use Hallie's old Nikon D40!
I am extraordinarily excited. And I can't wait until my photography improves and I finally understand how to best work the aperture, ISO, and other lighting stuff.


4 comments :

  1. YAY YAY YAY!!!! Isn't if fun!!

    The ISO Aperture, shutter speed and all those other things will come in time, (In fact, I shot on fully auto for the first two years of owning a DSLR. :), and the wonderful thing about photography is that it's majorly fun straight from the beginning, even while you're figuring everything out.

    Amy's so adorable!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm so excited :)

      I turned the camera to manual yesterday, and I hope I will be able to figure it out soon. I am incredibly happy I have a DSLR :)

      Isn't she hilarious? She was doing the oddest poses. She's such a camera-hog!

      Delete
  2. Excellent! Manual is a piece of cake. This is what I often do, except in tricky lighting: Set my ISO (to the lowest it can go--like 200 or 400); set my aperture (to the lowest it can go--on your lens that's around f/4 or f/5); then move my shutter around as necessary to maintain good exposure. This is a good succinct version of how it all works: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/02/ac/22/02ac223375a21f48d84a8aeda9b405d8.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yahoo! That link will hopefully be extra helpful :) I noticed a little aperture thing on the screen--and as I moved the lens it would move. Isn't an f/1.8 what a 50mm lens has? And generally, is it the smaller the aperture the more "bokeh" is produced? I'll have to look in the camera manual for changing the ISO settings and stuff.

      Thanks, my friend!

      Delete