Saturday, May 31, 2014

Verified

I don't know about you {but I wanna be Francis Chan! jkfl} but one of the single most annoying things bloggers tend to do (whether accidentally or on purpose) is leave "word verification" turned on.
So, say you decide to leave a comment on one of your favorite blogs. You write it all up, then you hit "publish" and a picture unfolds of a nearly indecipherable word and really blurry numbers.
And then you get really annoyed because you can hardly read the words and the numbers and it just makes you want to scream.
Okay, so that was a bit of a hyperbole. . . . But seriously, if you have it turned on and you're not getting many comments--that could be a pretty large reason. Many, many bloggers who give advice talk about this issue. Pounding out a bunch of random letters and numbers when you just took two or three minutes to write out your comment already is pretty discouraging, not to mention a time waster.

In order to turn this off, first go to http://www.blogger.com. If you're not signed in, sign in. Your blog(s) should be listed at the top of your dashboard. There will be an orange button with a pencil on it; next to that a button with papers on it; next to that a little down-arrow. Click this down-arrow and scroll down the available list until you reach "Settings." Under "Settings" you'll see a list of other tabs: Basic, Posts and comments, Mobile and email, etc. Click on the "Posts and comments" tab. In the page will be a "Comments" section, under which you can change comment location, who can comment, comment moderation--and then word verification. There will be a button with the options "Yes" or "No." Set it to "No," save your settings, and then exit out.

Now, there are exceptions to using word verification. I know because I've done it myself. On my book blog, I resorted to setting it up because I continually received spam comments in my email--up to ten or more per day, usually on the same two or three posts. It was very irritating. Setting up word verification has mostly healed the problem, but I still get a few spam comments in a month. But if you can endure the comments clogging up your inbox--please take your word verification down.

earrings gift ($0)
denim jacket thrifted, by style & co. ($6?)
black tee chadwicks of boston, by realcomfort tees ($17)
coral bow skirt gift, by hannah everly designs ($0)
shoes kmart, by bongo ($20)
wardrobe essentials in this look denim jacket, neutral tee

10 comments :

  1. Word verification is a pet peeve of mine. That and the "this comment will be visible after approval" feature. By and large, Blogger does a great job of catching spam comments. Why put your readers through the hassle of having to verify their comments? I completely agree with you.

    Also, you look simply adorable in this ensemble. I ADORE the bow! And jean jackets are classic - they so easily bring an outfit together. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! Word moderation is another really big annoyance for me. It's a little weird because one wouldn't think it would be so irritating, but not being able to see your comment immediately IS irritating.

      Thank you so much! Hannah Everly designs the cutest stuff :)

      Delete
  2. (...and now I know why. I'd not been following this blog.)

    Word verification is sometimes annoying - especially if the blogger has to approve all of the comments first. I used the verification for a while before turning it off and when I first did, many spam comments came through. Now, though, it seems to have evened out, and I watch really closely, and have now chosen the setting that any post older than 10 days, I have to approve the comments of since more spam comments seemed to happen on old posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I see :) I'd thought you followed on Google+ for some reason, I guess.

      Yes, indeed. For me on my book blog spam has just gotten worse and worse as the blog has gotten older, which is discouraging. I might just put on that moderation-on-older-than-this-many-days setting :)

      Delete
  3. I loooooooove your skirt! The bow and the color is just SO CUTE! Gorgeous outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Ashley! You should really check out Hannah Everly Designs on Etsy (you probably have before though :)) :)

      Oh, and a disclaimer for everyone: I am not being endorsed by her for advertising. This skirt I won in a giveaway hosted by her sister, Rachel Coker.

      Delete
  4. That skirt is a lovely color, and looks great with the denim jacket!
    I, too, find word verification bothersome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much-ly, Paulina! I really appreciate your taking the time to comment :)

      Delete
  5. agghhh! word verification! its what haunts my worst dreams LOL. i've kinda gotten used to it now, but it still really slows things down.
    awesome outfit, lady.
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally :) thanks for the comment!

      Delete