Wardrobe Essentials: Yes, You Can Go Wrong

When I first got interested in fashion a couple years ago, I started by reading books like What I Wore by Jessica Quirk and Style by Lauren Conrad. Both include lists of essentials to have in your closet. Motivated by those lists--particularly the ones in What I Wore--I created a humongous list of wardrobe basics which is perfectly overwhelming.

So for the past couple years in earnest I've been searching for items like a chambray button-down, a black tee (see above), a neutral summer-weight scarf, a neutral maxi skirt, a little black dress, neutral leggings, black heels, nude heels, black flats, nude flats. . . . The list goes on and on.
And you know what I've decided?
Wardrobe essentials are good, but they have their place.
Such as. . .not overwhelming you when you search for them.
Such as. . .being able to buy other things before you buy those basics.
I tend to hang on to some lists and organization processes like they're my lifeline--yet I feel so relieved when I can give them up.
So if you, like me, have been compulsively searching for dozens of wardrobe basics instead of buying what you like, maybe it's time to give yourself some leash. :)

Note: Honestly, the basics of wardrobe essentials (pun intended) can be narrowed down thusly: neutral outerwear, neutral pants, neutral skirt, neutral dress, neutral shoes. If you have all of those, you're probably good :-)

Comments

  1. Yay! No more obsessing! ;) I suck at buying basics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay indeed! I can't wait to suck at buying basics.

      Delete
  2. This is great advice. Some of us, myself included, have the worst time finding "essentials" like button-down shirts and khaki pants. I have spent so long trying to find these items, only to be met with dressing-room depression. I've given up, and, like you, have found it freeing. Will we die without button-down shirts? No. There are so many other clothing options out there, some we will like much more than khaki and chambray!

    Thanks for this reminder, Hannah. Here's to buying things that flatter and bring joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment and completely agree with everything you said. I've also felt guilty in the past for buying something that was not an essential BEFORE I bought the essential itself. I don't want to do that anymore.

      Delete
  3. personally I've found that if I've lived 26 years without those "essentials", clearly they aren't essential anyway. Everyone has their own list of what's essential to them and it doesn't have to be the same for everyone! If I did go to the trouble of getting some of the essentials on that list, I can guarantee I would never wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's true :) Thanks for the insightful comment, Laurz.

      Delete

Post a Comment