Monday, February 23, 2015

Simplicity

“Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci
I have never been one to overload an outfit with accessories -- in fact, more often than not, I have a hard time choosing what accessories to wear. Or wearing any accessories at all! I don't wear earrings on a full-time basis, for example, so I'm often too lazy to just take out a pair and insert them into my ears . . . even though the addition really does help out an outfit. Yet I also have contrasting opinions about accessorizing -- I do, in general, think less is more, but I also think that the ability to accessorize is what separates an amateur fashionista from an extraordinary one.

These days to school I haven't been too particular about what I wear, either. During fall term I was adventurous and wore workplace fashion every day I attended CGCC, including wearing heels 90% of the time (yes, even when I had to go to biology lab!). Now I prefer being more comfortable, both physically and mentally (so I don't feel like people are looking at me funny for dressing up). It's also much easier to move from place to place -- up the stairs, down the stairs, out to the car, in the grocery store -- when I'm wearing clothes that move with my body and shoes that don't impede my stride.
Well, today I had a biology exam. I thought it went well, but I don't know if I got as good a grade as I wanted. I'm thankful that I woke up at 6:30 today with a comparative amount of energy even though I only collectively slept for about 5 1/2 hours last night; at least that way I wasn't so tired I blanked during the test. 

I should probably be off because I have some mythology assignments due today, horses to water, and I feel very lazy since I gave myself most of the afternoon off from school after my test.

12 comments :

  1. I like all your hair pulled up like that. You have great cheekbones and wear an updo very well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Laura! You are sweet :)

      Delete
  2. DO YOU SEE THAT BEAUTIFUL 1.8 -NESS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT I LOVE it you are so nice that you gave me that lens. It is SO BEAUTIFUL I cannot believe it. I didn't think the difference would be that incredible when I planned to switch to the 50mm, but it's HUGE! Not only is the background way yummier but the lens also handles bright light (like this) WAY better and the focus is SO much easier! Except on close-ups, but I guess I still have to work on that :)

      Also . . . are there lenses that go below f/1.4? I've heard that the alternative, more "professional" version of the 50mm is an f/1.4, which is what Alex at Into the Woods has, but I was wondering if there's anything that goes below it, and what they're good for.

      Delete
    2. There are lenses that go down to f/0.95, but you would probably have to spend over $10,000 to get one. Aperture is a very big deal. Canon has an 85mm lens that can go down to 1.2, which is nice, but a lot of photographers who have it use it on at least 1.8 anyway because at 1.2 the depth of field is SO TINY that you move half a centimeter and you're out of focus. I believe Nikon's widest is 1.4, which you can get in 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm varieties. The 50mm 1.4 is about $200 more than the 1.8 sells for brand new, which isn't terrible. But the difference in a 35mm 1.4 is about $1,500 and in the 85mm 1.4, $1,000.

      They are all VERY high quality lenses and great for low light or super creamy portraits if you don't mind having very little in focus. I have a 135mm f/2, which is called one of the best portrait lenses ever made because the longer focal length makes f/2 even softer and blurrier in the background than a 1.8. There's also a 200mm f/2 that is AH.may.zing (Meg Bitton uses it, if you've seen her pictures on Facebook). But then you have to work at a pretty big distance from your subject, which I'm not a huge fan of. I like to interact from a closer standpoint.

      Delete
    3. Oh wow. I can't believe lenses get that expensive! Your 135 is like one of my favorite lenses ever.

      I think I follow Meg Bitton on Facebook, but I'm not sure I do. I'll have to go look at her stuff and find her pictures with that lens :)

      Thanks for answering all my pesky questions! haha

      Delete
  3. Super cute! This is my kind of style right here. I like to keep my wardrobe simple and consistent but I also like to throw in something different every now and then. Scarves are one of my favorite accessories to do just that. :D

    I hope all of your exams go well!

    a vapor in the wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm glad you identified with it :) I was afraid it was a little too simple yesterday when I put it up. And scarves are one of my favorite accessories too! They're just such great inventions :)

      Thanks! I hope so too :)

      Delete
  4. So cute! Good luck on exams!
    Grace

    theshortendofthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like it! I've been dressing pretty simply lately too. Although this morning I got bored with normal outfits so I put on my black maxi, a black tee shirt and tied a bright purple scarf on as a vest, (A cool hack I might have made up myself or perhaps seen on pinterest, I don't remember which, but nevertheless is quite brilliant and I will blog about soon. whew, that was quite the run on sentence!) It turned out cute if I do say so myself. :)

    Also, yes, the lighting and everything is amazing in these!!! Totally love it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This outfit sounds gorgeous, and purple is a great color for you! I can't wait to see the post about it :)

      Thank you! The 50mm f/1.8 is the most beautiful invention ever and I am so thankful Hallie gave it to me :)

      Delete