Friday, May 15, 2015

2015 High School Graduation Dress Picks

I got to thinking a few weeks ago about writing a “graduation dress picks” post like I did last year and realized that my attitude about dressing was different this year. Why? Well, because this year I'm graduating from college, not high school. Granted, “just a community college,” but sometimes a year can make an astronomical difference in one's life. When that happens, sometimes one needs to reflect newfound maturities with a different dress code -- so today, I'm devoting one post to the high schoolers who find themselves walking in their cap and gown in mere days -- or waiting on pins and needles for the next month to be over.
.

I like this dress because it's fun and flirtatious, high-low and happy -- all the things you're probably feeling on your graduation day. With a high school graduation, it's easier to pull off a semi-casual, pretty preppy look, and this dress is just lovely. If it were a little longer, I would have no qualms about adding it to my wardrobe -- except the price tag, probably. Those bare arms though! Making me a little chilly.
Artful Elegance Dress
If you're attending a dance or evening party right after your graduation, I love this gown from ModCloth. It's still fairly casual with its multicolored top and bottom but the chiffon overlay is elegant, and the top is definitely very artful -- hence the name, “Artful Elegance.” Ha. The only issue I have is that a floor-length skirt is likely to look odd with your typical calf-length graduation gown. Maybe this should be a change-into-for-the-after-party option?
This Vintage 1950's White Chiffon Cocktail Dress is perfect for a night if tiki culture and cocktails.
If you're into vintage, this gorgeous dress fits the bill. It's swingy and bright, perfect for a day you feel joyful and accomplished.
I love the way Charlotte Boyer styled this dress. It reminds me a little of my own graduation ensemble last year -- not because the style is the same but because we both went a little on the casual side. This isn't her graduation outfit, by the way -- just one I liked.
Brace for Whim-Pact Dress
'Kay, I pretty much just love this dress, and would absolutely wear it to my college graduation coming up in . . . wait, twenty-nine days? WHAT? Whose idea was THAT? Ahem. I'm not a huge fan of the somewhat rotund top, but I have a feeling I'd like it better on. Plus that little chiffon cutout at the bottom, followed by another layer of the bubbles? Yes please.

Am I maybe starting to talk about pieces I want to add to my closet instead of helping you decide what to wear for graduation? Sorry. I'll endeavor to stop.
"Floral You Need Is Love Dress, White"
Like lace, crochets, or chiffon overlays? This one from The Mint Julep Boutique is perfect then.

Finally, because I could literally go on for hours about this topic . . .
Neutrals & Tulle skirt.
. . . if you're not in the mood for a dress, who doesn't love tulle? A nice skirt can be just as pretty an option as a new dress.

Which was your favorite?

Shoutout to the Class of 2015! You peeps are awesome :)
Here's (part of) what I wore for my high school graduation. Instead of putting my hair up in a messy bun, I used a heatless curling method and tied some of it back. That's about the only difference :) Oh, and by the way . . . these grainy pictures are driving me INSANE. Google has no answers either.

2 comments :

  1. Ooo, that vintage dress with yellow florals? Pretty! Oh, and I love that tulle skirt. I've seen Shabby Apple carries that "type" of skirt, but I'm not sure if I like it well enough to buy my own. Or more likely I just don't think I could pull it off. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I find all these gorgeous vintage dresses on Pinterest and I just want them all. And tulle skirts are so on my wardrobe bucket list! I've seen them on Shabby Apple too, and you know I think I have the same fear as you. haha They're not a very well-worn piece in my area . . . in fact I don't think I've seen anyone wear a tulle skirt, ever. Maybe I'll be the first! :)

      Delete