Sunday, May 31, 2015

Orange Is the New Black


Hi peeps! Today was challenging. I started the day out normally -- walked a mile and a half, fed the horses, made breakfast, dressed for church, started my forum post for Records Management, played for worship at church, and promptly left so I could get more school done by lunchtime. Most of my energy dissipated by lunch however, and I couldn't even get one problem fully done in math before my brain gave out.

After lunch I took these outfit pictures and was discouraged because I disliked all of them. By about five I was so exhausted and depressed I caved and finally had some non-glutinous grains -- after the Whole30, you're encouraged to reintroduce high-allergen foods one at a time for one day at a time, after which you return to your Whole30 menu for two full days before introducing the next high-allergen food. Well, as I mentioned, in the last couple weeks of the Whole30 I no longer had the boundless energy I was supposed to have, and as I neared the end of the program I just got more. and more. and more. and more tired. After my rice day (Thursday) I felt splendid -- till I had a regular Whole30 meal. Then I was back to my exhausted self. My exhaustion didn't make sense, because I was eating foods rich in iron and the likelihood of my going anemic in a month's time is very low. I was sleeping pretty well -- not stellar, but then I never do. I wasn't really exercising much more than I had been, I didn't think. So I had corn tortilla chips at five-ish this afternoon and -- seriously -- felt better practically immediately. I then had rice for dinner and I still feel good. Tired-ish, but way more energetic than I was before. This is also highly important because I have a math test on Tuesday afternoon, and what was I going to do if my brain was too spent to study? Fail epically? UM NO.

On further thought, it could be because in the last two weeks of the Whole30 I started exercising to Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred again. It's definitely not the hardest workout she's created, but it requires far more energy than 99% of the workouts on Pinterest (which were what I had been doing thrice a week for several months in succession) and I don't think I consumed enough carbs to counteract the energy it took out of me. Hmm.

It feels strange going back to a “regular” diet, even though it's still supposed to be much cleaner than my diet was before the Whole30. I'm going to make a smoothie for breakfast tomorrow morning, which will hopefully give me a lot of energy without a blood sugar crash.

Anyway! I feel like I just rambled about the Whole30 for no real cause except to tell you why today was a challenge. I hope you all have a splendid tomorrow, friends :)

necklace | gift
neon orange T-shirt | jcpenney by made for life ($7.00?)
nails | jamberry in “adam's favorite” ($15.00)
gray maxi skirt | fred meyer by great northwest: indigo ($11.98)
black buckle heels | thrifted by nine west ($8.00)

8 comments :

  1. Cute look! I love that heels!
    -Margaret
    http://happyinheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret! Nice of you to stop by :)

      Delete
  2. love this look!! and your necklace is darling!!! so classy and pretty.

    I'm glad you're feeling better now that you're eating grains again. hopefully you're sleeping will improve. (if not there is always nyquil. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bex! Hallie gave it to me as a bridesmaids' gift :)

      Yes, hopefully. I feel like I might have gone to sleep faster last night, and I'm waaaaaay less tired today than I was yesterday.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully you'll find what works and what doesn't. Feeling like you have no energy is not a fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. So far I think I'll stay away from dairy -- I had a skin breakout yesterday after consuming dairy products on Sunday. And I am feeling more energetic thanks to grains and glucose :)

      I appreciate your reading my post and commenting, Rissi!

      Delete