Making a “Vitablast” | The Whole Foods Way Series

My “Whole Foods Way” series started in the middle of April before I embarked on the intimidating Whole30 journey. This “recipe” I'm sharing with you today is really more of a method, and one I consider more important to me and my health than pretty much any other recipe I'll ever share with you guys.


The Equipment

  • It's called a “Vitablast” for a reason, even though I typically just stick to the whole brand name of the blender when talking about my green smoothie: Vitamix. I'll be using my Certified Reconditioned Vitamix 5200 I purchased in December. If you don't have a Vitamix, trust me when I say there's no other blender on the market that will work like this one (unless you happen to have a Blendtec, another high-dollar blender which works about as well as a Vitamix, from what I've researched). Ninja, Nutribullet, and MagicBullet will not cut it against a Vitamix, no matter what the Internet or infomercials tell you. (I've used a Nutribullet a few times and tbh, the blend capabilities are almost laughable in comparison to the Vitamix's.)
  • Possibly the tamper that comes with your Vitamix machine.
  • 1 tablespoon measurer
  • 1/4 teaspoon measurer

The Method

1 1/2 cups water, filtered if possible.
1 handful greens. I used spinach this time. The most convenient options are the boxed or bagged spinach, kale, and/or power greens, even though they don't quite have the nutritional power of the home-grown variety.
1-2 carrots or 1 handful baby carrots.
1 fresh fruit or 1 handful fresh fruit. This time I used watermelon, and while I didn't expect it to be very tasty, it was!
2 handfuls frozen fruit. 
1 tablespoon healthy fat. Some options include the following: chia seeds, flaxseeds, fish oil, hemp hearts, almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seeds/butter, sesame seeds/tahini, Brazil nuts, pine nuts, (100% natural and unsweetened) peanut butter*, pumpkin seeds, and/or (canned, unsweetened, check-the-ingredients) coconut milk. *Peanut butter contains toxins which make consuming it on a too-frequent basis potentially damaging to health. It may also inhibit thyroid hormones, causing you to gain weight or feel tired without knowing why. However, it also has a whole list of benefits, like Vitamin E, magnesium, and potassium, as well as healthy and satiating fats (Prevention). By the way, I think I used sunflower seed butter this time around.
1/8-1 teaspoon superfood powder. Some options include the following: Spirulina powder, ascorbic acid powder, kelp powder, acai powder, turmeric powder (it's hot so be careful! increase amounts slowly), ground cinnamon, apple cider vinegar (not a powder, I know), unsweetened cocoa powder, ground ginger, nutritional yeast, maca root powder, goji berry powder, chlorella powder, ashwagandha root powder, alfalfa grass juice powder, bee pollen powder, and/or shiitake mushroom powder. I believe I chose cinnamon today, which is an excellent metabolizer. I could only handle about an eighth of a teaspoon though. Yep, I'm cheap.
BLEND it all up! I blend mine on high for a full minute because I like to make sure everything's broken down correctly.
The finished product.

Comments

  1. it looks very healthy!!!!!!! :) Gosh... my morning smoothies aren't nearly this "good for you..." Basically I just do apricots, milk, yogurt, 1 tsp sugar. (yes. I add sugar. I'm a terrible person...) and sometimes orange juice...

    Mom would approve of yours. She tells me mine is horrible. :) I kinda want a vitamix... they seem so handy and absolutly amazing!! (maybe when I get married. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha you are not a terrible person! I put raw honey in my “normal” smoothies which I'm pretty sure to my brain is the same as white sugar. lolz

      Vitamixes are AMAZING! But if you can't afford one or a Blendtec (which run at a similar expense), a Nutribullet is probably the next-best thing, or a NutriNinja. Yes, you should for sure put it on your wedding registry, haha. I might put the most recent version of Vitamix on MY wedding registry if/when I get married since 5200s aren't the most innovative type you can get.

      Delete

Post a Comment