Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Summer 2015 Favorites

It's been like FOREVER since I did one of these posts (MARCH, I think? Yikes). Ashley over at Bramblewood Fashion reminded me that, since I haven't been successful at posting regularly of late (due to having to save about $600 for a new camera), this topic is one that I can post on since I can pull images off Pinterest. :) Beware: this is going to be a pretty long list since I have three-ish months to cover ;)

BURT'S BEES POMEGRANATE LIP BALM

Burt's Bees - Pomegranate Lip Balm Tube
I recently rediscovered my love for this lip balm when applying it in haste to get ready for work. Sometimes I find it too slimy, but in combination with a light layer of foundation and a few coats of mascara its sheen substitutes for a lip gloss. This lip balm is also highly moisturizing.

ALMAY INTENSE I-COLOR VOLUMIZING MASCARA

Almay Intense I-Color Volume Mascara Plum (for brown eyes) Ulta.com - Cosmetics, Fragrance, Salon and Beauty Gifts.      My favorite mascara: Almay Intense I-Color Volume Mascara Plum (for brown eyes) Ulta.com - Cosmetics, Fragrance, Salon and Beauty Gifts.      My favorite mascara
Obviously not an all-natural product, but while this drugstore makeup brand carries the first mascara I ever bought for myself, it's also (in my opinion) an incredible product. It lengthens like you would not believe and makes me look like I've actually woken up. haha 

JCPENNEY ALYX SLEEVELESS BELTED FIT N FLARE DRESS

Alyx® Sleeveless Belted Fit N Flare Dress - JCPenney: Alyx® Sleeveless Belted Fit N Flare Dress - JCPenney
I bought this dress in this exact color in July and I love it. It's highly flattering because the belt falls in just the right place, accentuating your waist while drawing attention away from your hips. And while it originally costs a rather pricey $70, I was able to get it for $20 and change with sales and gift cards :)

BURT'S BEES FACIAL CLEANSING TOWELETTES WITH WHITE TEA EXTRACTS

Burt's Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes with White Tea Extract... perfect to wash the race sweat off yo face!: Burt's Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes with White Tea Extract... perfect to wash the race sweat off yo face!
Though I'm not a huge fan of them for just normal cleansing (they don't prevent breakouts and are somewhat drying), they are EXCELLENT at removing makeup.

HONEY MASKS


The spirulina mask made me look like the Wicked Witch of the West, but the honey makes your skin feel extra soft afterward. (Note: I just used raw honey, not manuka honey, which is much more expensive.)

AS I AM COCONUT COWASH

As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner - CurlMart..for curly girls: As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner - CurlMart..for curly girls
My hair has always been one of my biggest struggles, but this year I took a plunge and decided to try cleansing conditioners. That's probably been my best hair-care decision ever . . . my hair has been much softer and less frizzy since using cleansing conditioners on a regular basis. Since I ran out of my Renpure Solutions Rosemary Mint Cleansing Conditioner recently, I stopped at Sally's Beauty Supply and picked up a couple new brands, including this one. This cowash is so silky-smooth feeling. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a better product than Ren, but I love it -- especially the smell. Tangerines + coconut = tropical bliss. My only complaints? It's formulated with Quarternium-18 and synthetic fragrances, both considered toxic/just unhealthy.

NIKE TENNIS SHOES

After a couple years of hanging out with some RoadRunner Sports tennis shoes, I was definitely in need of a new pair. Mine have neon hot pink laces and I love them -- I'm always amazed at the "bounce" new tennis shoes have!

ARROW


Very cool Arrow series: Very cool Arrow series#OlicityForever One of the best new shows I've gotten hooked on in a long time. It's not as family-friendly as its CW counterpart The Flash, but very exciting and well-done nonetheless.

HEARTLAND

heartland phtos | TV Review: "Heartland" Season 6 - Heartfelt Family Drama | We Eat ...: heartland phtos | TV Review: "Heartland" Season 6 - Heartfelt Family Drama | We Eat ...
All about horses, I thought maybe this show would be one of those overly-dramatic teenage-girl whiner-forty-niner snob-fests. It can get that way sometimes, but amazingly there are some bits of useful information I've picked up from the show (none of which I've confirmed are actually true, but common sense tells me they could be). (Just don't ask me about how misguided their research was on horse racing or I might blow up.) Mallory's my favorite character, at least in the last couple seasons I've watched (I've only watched through season 6 and they're filming season 9 right now), and doesn't get nearly enough screen time IMO. Also, once past season 3 or so, the show does tend to drag a little bit -- or maybe I just got sick of watching the same characters so frequently.

SHERLOCK

Your password to everything is “I AM SHERLOCKED” | 12 Traits Of A True “Sherlock” Fan via Buzzfeed Community. It is hilarious and wonderful how true this is. #Sherlock #BenedictCumberbatch #MartinFreeman: Your password to everything is “I AM SHERLOCKED” | 12 Traits Of A True “Sherlock” Fan via Buzzfeed Community. It is hilarious and wonderful how true this is. #Sherlock #BenedictCumberbatch #MartinFreeman
Spending a week with Hallie in Olympia reminded me just how much I can fangirl over Benedict Cumberbatch as the legendary Sherlock Holmes. The BBC rendition of Arthur Conan Doyle's creation is just fabulous. No one should miss it.
DID I MENTION I AM SO EXCITED SEASON FOUR PREMIERES IN LIKE THREE MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEATH IN PARADISE

Death in Paradise- another fun British   TV series.: Death in Paradise- another fun British   TV series.I watched the first three episodes of this show when with Hallie and our friend Carisa in Olympia -- it was just awesome. I can't wait to watch the rest! (Fun fact: the lead guy is played by the actor who played Prince Edward's aide in The Prince & Me.)

“PHOTOGRAPH” BY ED SHEERAN

“ALL OF THE STARS” BY JACKIE EVANCHO

Incidentally another Ed Sheeran original that Jackie beautifies. (I've never heard Sheeran's.) Note: the song is gorgeous, the original music video is not.

THRIVEMARKET.COM


Allegedly a Whole Foods + Costco online mashup, browsing around this website today has been awesome. Membership is $60; I don't plan to join anytime soon, though maybe someday when/if I'm living on my own I will. I'd like to research it more before I come to any conclusion though.

RESEARCHING TOXIC INGREDIENTS IN PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS

I love using all-natural personal hygiene products, but nowadays even if something's labeled "natural" or "all-natural," it might not be really. So in the past couple days I've started researching the most toxic ingredients to avoid. Olivia's post here is fun to read, and she links to this one for more specific help.

What are a few of your favorite things this summer?

7 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness! So much to love :)
    -Margaret
    http://happyinheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!?!

      Thanks for commenting, Margaret!

      Delete
  2. Burts bees lip balm is my very favorite!! I think it's very healing to my lips, and feels great!

    That dress is so beautiful!! I bet it looks great on you. (That color is definitely perfect for your skin and hair!! It always looks stunning on you.)

    I love I Can See the Stars, and Jackies version is beautiful!!!! I haven't really listened to much of her music lately, but I really like the way her voice is maturing!

    Such a happy list, Hannah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. opps... I was typing that as I was listening, and I got the title of the song wrong... But you know what I meant. haha :)

      Delete
    2. I know right!!! I especially love their Mango Butter one. I think that one's my fave :D

      Aw, thank you :) I love cobalt/royal blue colors. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites, and it's so great for the fall/winter months too.

      I like the way her voice is maturing too! Her lower range is beginning to become as beautiful and effortless as her upper range, which I think is very important. I like how she doesn't just focus on super high songs anymore and (along with the rest of her production team) realizes that a good singer is as focused on the low register as on the high. (Incidentally, I was singing "Think of Me" with her the other night, and the highest note isn't as high as I thought--probably an Ab6 or A6 at highest.)

      Thank you so much for commenting, Bex!!!

      Delete
  3. SO many favorites. I love Burt's Bees, only I go crazy for their grapefruit lip balm. Arrow and Sherlock are always favorites, naturally. ;) That JCP dress is really cute! Always great to add a good bargain (plus something new!) to the wardrobe. I've never listened to Ed's music and haven't kept up with Jackie's to be honest. But I'll have to give a listen to the song you include. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burt's Bees has such a great selection of lip balms! I'd love to try all of them at some point. haha

      Oh, you should! "Thinking Out Loud," "Photograph," and "I See Fire" (from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug) are all brilliant. "Lego House" is good too, if I'm remembering right; I haven't listened to a whole lot of his music, but I usually enjoy what I do listen to. He also collaborated with Taylor Swift in "Everything Has Changed."

      I don't keep up with Jackie as much as I did, since I've gone out of my "Jackie Evancho only" phase. I enjoy a lot of her new music because it's not just opera -- I do like opera, but it gets stressful if one listens too long ;)

      Thanks, as always, for commenting, Rissi! Btw, I love your new profile pic :)

      Delete